Providing High Bandwidth and Power for IP Surveillance Cameras
Before a brand new tunnel in Norway could be finished, all of the safety measures and equipment needed to be completed. It was essential that the newest tunnel would use the most up-to-date technology. For example, it was required that staff could monitor the status of the tunnel’s traffic in real-time traffic via the Internet.
Since the total distance of the network is greater than 100 KM and huge amounts of data need to be sent, the problem of bandwidth needed to be overcome. Copper Ethernet cable has a maximum range of about 100 meters, thus could not be a consideration. Therefore, the only alternative for the Ring Topology was single-mode fiber, thereby ensuring network redundancy and the transmission of data back to the control center for further analysis. They also needed redundancy and fast recovery if a node failed.
Due to the large number of modules ( for example Speed detectors, Smoke detectors, Temperature detectors, PIS LED information board, PoE IP Camera for real-video monitoring, Voice broadcasting system, PoE IP Phone, License Plate Recognition System and Traffic Light control) on this system a reliable network is essential for the system, fast redundancy network is a necessary function.
The tunnel’s intelligent transportation system (ITS) also wanted 24/7 video surveillance. Therefore, the operating temperature of the Ethernet devices and cameras must support wide temperatures and be of an industrial grade. Furthermore, since all the equipment would be outdoors, the entire mechanism must be able to withstand harsh environmental conditions. Normally, standard copper PoE switches only support 15.4W, but the outdoor high power IP Cameras use 25W to solve the power consumption problems.
The System Integrator (SI) in Norway chose Advantech’s industrial switch EKI-7710E-2CPI because the interface includes eight 10/100 RJ-45 and support IEEE 802.3 af/at Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) Fast Ethernet ports + two Gigabit Copper/SFP (Small Form Pluggable) fiber combo ports.
The EKI-7710E-2CPI is a full managed industrial switch with wide operating temperature from -40 to +75°C.
Each of the Ethernet ports (ports1~8) provides up to 30W power to connected devices. That eliminated the need to run dedicated power lines to the camera locations.Also the EKI-7710E-2CPI supports POE port monitoring and configuration, through the interface shown below.
Administrators can monitor the power consumption and voltage, temperature, etc... from the managed interface.
Image 1: Interface
The flexible network topology, as shown below, supports multiple dual-ring networks from the control center. Each ring’s ID supports one tunnel and is flexible enough to be extended in the future.
Image 2: Network Topology
The SFP fiber ports support dual mode 100 Mbps or 1000Mbps SFP auto detection which future-proofs the installation.
There are many benefits of fiber:
- Long distances up to 120KM2.
- Immunity against Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)3.
- Immunity against Electro-Static Discharge (ESD) and Surges.
- The terminal block on the top of the device supports dual DC power 24/48VDC input.
- The fault relay and fault LED indicate failed connection on power 1 / power 2 or SFP fiber ports 9 or port 10.
- The fault relay is a switch, which is closed normally and open when it's fault. Administrators can use the function in the control room.
- The fault LED indicates the power and (or) SFP fiber port link status, if power or SFP fiber ports fail, the fault alarm LED will be on and SNMP can receive the trap.
- All the EKI-7700 series products support 5 years warranty.
Any EKI-7710E-2CPI supports IXM fast deployment technology. For a whole new environment, you can assign new IP addresses for each switch and then restore flexible software functions to the EKI-7710E-2CPI. For existing environments, if you need to upgrade to new firmware you can use IXM for fast deployment of the latest firmware to all of your EKI-7710E-2CPI devices just by following the wizard. Below is the reference website introducing IXM technology:
IXM Technology for Efficient Network Deployment, Advantech (EN)
For more detailed operating procedures reference the below website introduction:
Advantech IXM Technical Webinar, Advantech(EN)
The EKI-7710E-2CPI also supports X-ring Pro technology and supports a maximum 250 devices and also supports popular protocols like VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network), IGMP V1, V2, V3 for multicast video streaming.
EKI-7700 series with PoE+ technology
Image 3: EKI-7710 Series
The PoE+ features meet IEEE 802.3af /at standards for running electrical DC power over existing Category5 (or higher) copper cabling,while concurrently supporting the Ethernet data stream. To prevent damage to connected equipment, the detected circuit will only provide as much power as the equipment actually draws.
- 8 x IEEE 802.3 af/at PoE Fast Ethernet ports+ 2 x Gigabit Copper/SFP combo ports
- DIN rail and wall mountable
- Wide-range operating temperature (-40 to +75°C) DC power
- Accepts any MSA-compliant SFP
- Dual 24~48 VDC power input and 1 relay output
- Security: 802.1x (Port-Based, MD5/TLS/TTLS/PEAP Encryption), RADIUS
- Management: SNMP v1/v2c/v3, WEB, Telnet, Console, Standard MIB, Private MIB
- Redundancy: Gigabit X-Ring Pro (ultra-high speed recovery time < 20ms), MSTP/RSTP/STP (802.1S/1w/1D)
- Flexible topology and easy to extend in the future
- SFP socket for Easy and Flexible Fiber Expansion
- Provides PoE+ for all copper ports
- Any node supports fast redundancy
- Supports wide voltage 24VDC boost up to 52VDC
- IXM function enables fast deployment
- Dual image
- Fiber and Power alarm